During summer 2018 and spring 2019 I worked at an art studio for kids ages 18 months - 9 years old called the Art Spark in Loveland, Ohio. I was filling in for one of the co-owners while she was on maternity leave so I learned quite a lot, not only about how to be an art educator, but also the logistics of how to run a small business.
- The importance of art education, especially at a young age. Students learn fine motor skills, build confidence, are taught problem-solving, and learn how to self direct.
- Building and executing a lesson plan. I was given the freedom to design and teach a few 6 week classes for the 5-9 year olds. (One of my lesson plans is pictured below.)
- How to organize and keep a small business running. I used programs like Excel, Word, Formsite, Wordpress, and Mailchimp every day. I also learned valuable interpersonal skills over the phone, in person, and over email.
- The development of a child and how to tailor a lesson plan to different ages.
- How to manage a classroom and discipline as needed.